Archive for June, 2012

Firewall modification

As we’re now at the stage of fitting the rear clam, certain “standard lotus” body components seem to be affecting the clam alignment.

So instead of cutting EVEN MORE of our lovely carbon clam away, we opted to modify the rear firewall/ side sills so that the clam slid on nicely and also maintained a barrier between the cockpit and engine bay.

20120625-170424.jpg

Teaser pics…

Well,
the body work is finally staring to come together; the panels are FINALLY almost lined up, trimmed, and fastened down.

All of that considered, and a much needed shop clean-up. I just couldn’t think of a better opportunity to take some pictures to show you guys!!!

And just for kicks… we mocked up some spare wheels and the rear wing for extra “flare”!!

ENJOY!!

20120622-174930.jpg

20120622-175014.jpg

20120622-175143.jpg

Front clam side aero-catches

The mounts for the side aero catch pins have been fabricated and are now mounted in-place.

Therefore we can now deem the front clam…

MOUNTED!!!

Stay tuned for updates on the mounting of the rear clam and custom side pods!!!

20120621-123135.jpg

20120621-123121.jpg

20120621-123113.jpg

Carbon Fiber Rear Clam!!!

Seeing as we have a weight target of 780KG’s for the entire car, we decided to replace our glass fiber rear clam with a Carbon rear clam to keep the weight down.

We where able to track down a genuine Carbon Exige GT3  rear clam and I must say… Not only is this puppy light, but it’s a work of art. All of the fibre orientations and core materials are configured to keep the clam as stiff and strong as possible.

And since we had a genuine Exige, glass fiber GT3, and CF GT3 rear clams all at the shop… Naturally the first thing we did was, WEIGH THEM!!!

Origional Exige>> 24.3KG

GF GT3>> 16KG

CF GT3>> 8KG

Enjoy the pics.

Front body aligned!

Right, well it’s been a while since our last blog update. Lots has been going on and plenty of new parts have arrived, so it’s time to get everyone up to speed.

With the front side pods back from composites in their carbon fiber form, we got them fitted to the car so we could start aligning panels. After hours of grunting, groaning, heat guns, gaffa tape, and a few casual knee’s/ punches/ shoves, and kicks to the body work… The front body panels are finally lined up to satisfaction. With that done, we started mounting the front clam.

 

The aero catch mounts for the front of the front clam have been provisionally mounted in place (soon to be permanently bonded to the splitter), and the the side catch mounts are in the works. Check back in tomorrow, but for now… Enjoy the pics!